This blog is part of my recovery, and I would like it to remain a safe place for me to share parts of myself and my life that people close to me may or may not know. As a result, while I'm not going crazy with privacy settings, I do ask that if you find this on your own and suspect you may know me, please respect my privacy by checking with us before reading any further. This obviously doesn't apply if one of us has given you the link!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Sanguine Saturday: Christmas Edition

Merry Christmas everyone!

And will you look at that? I actually remembered to post this on time this week. ;)

First of all, I'd like to thank my friend Sonya over at My Verse who blogged a Great Things post last Saturday. (Probably not in response to my post, especially as I think hers was posted before mine, and she often posts them regardless, but definitely smile material for sending the positive side out into the world.)

Gold stars also to Sairs, eternally_damaged_butterfly and bpdisme who all left a comment on my last SS post with their own positives/achievements. Go and read them here, and then blog your own to be linked in next week's Sanguine Saturday post!


Success Stories:
I dealt with the panic and horribleness associated with the aftermath of the dentist visit.

I managed to "stay with" some difficult emotions and allow them to exist without trying to force them away.

Carol and I posted my informal police report. It was a very emotional journey to write the form (it took 3 separate versions before it was ready to send), and it was incredibly hard to let that information go out in the world... but it's done.

I faced my fear and wore my fancy top and pretty skirt out shopping. Did people stare? Yes. Did the world end? No. Did I get a great photo with Santa that got me several compliments? Oh, yes I did! And most important of all... did I feel pretty? Beyond all words. I call that a huge success, personally. ;)

4.5 weeks SI and alcohol free.

My cola intake is continuing at no more than 2 or 3 glasses a day, and there have even been several days where I've only had the 1 glass!

I spent some time working on craft projects.

I got my room a little bit more presentable.



Gratitudes/things that make me happy:
Having two beautiful women tell me to "stay pretty" until they got home so they could see... and then having them appreciate 'the pretty'.
Skype.
My new Cuttlebug! (Christmas present from everyone in my family!)
Giraffes and giraffe earrings.
Time spent with my nieces and nephew.
The anticipation of my mother's best friend opening the first few layers of his gift and realising just how many there are. (To give you an idea -- his present stands as tall as my knee... and he's getting a gift card.) ;)
Seeing you guys post your positives and achievements last week.



Challenge and cheer-leading statements:
It's okay to feel pretty. It's okay to think I look pretty.
I don't have to try and change every difficult emotion I face. Sometimes it's okay to just allow the emotion to exist within me. Attempting to fight off difficult emotions usually only makes them stronger.
I am safe. I lived through the experiences in my memories already; if I survived the experience, I can survive the memory as well.
Whatever I feel is okay, and it's okay to feel more than one thing at once.
I cannot change the past, I can only work to make the changes I need to make the future brighter.



Take care of yourselves until next time, and may we all find our own small fences along the way. And don't forget to blog your own version of Sanguine Saturday this week! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! Once again, I appreciated reading your success stories, gratitudes, etc. Personally, taking the time to think about my own and get them out there in written form was a very powerful experience, and really encouraged me to do a lot of important reflection as well as recognize my accomplishments! I plan on incorporating such into an upcoming post this week. Thanks again for the inspiration and congrats on your successes! Once again, you have clearly come a long way and have a lot to be proud of and thankful for. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh you got a cuttlebug, I have one too. I often forget to use it though since I've had it for a few years. Love love love it though. I bet you were super excited when you saw it. We should definitely meet up sometime still. I'm glad you felt pretty, I'm going to do pretty today. We have Andy's parent's christmas today. I am going to wear a skirt I think. Oh and guess what, I am the heaviest I've been since I was anorexic and I'm not scared. I am accepting of myself and I am so proud. Oh and if you have a credit card, you should check Oh My Crafts in the US if you haven't already at www.ohmycrafts.com as they have heaps of cuddlebug stuff and it's cheaper than buying them here in Australia. You can also use Sizzix folders in it too but just check they are the ones that are compatible because sizzix has some larger folders too. You can also use spellbinders, some of them are gorgeous. You might know all this but thought I'd say anyway :-)
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete