This blog is part of my recovery, and I would like it to remain a safe place for me to share parts of myself and my life that people close to me may or may not know. As a result, while I'm not going crazy with privacy settings, I do ask that if you find this on your own and suspect you may know me, please respect my privacy by checking with us before reading any further. This obviously doesn't apply if one of us has given you the link!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sanguine SUNday (again)

As expected, I missed this week's Sanguine Saturday, but I'm home in time to post Sanguine SUNday, instead! I know my successes are a bit lacking this week, but that's okay. Sometimes there are times when just treading water is the best we can do.



This week's Success Stories:
I used my interpersonal skills to be honest with my mother about what was happening.
I used my DEAR MAN skills to ensure that nobody would be allowed in to visit me before I was conscious enough to protect myself. Just because the nurses didn't respect that, by leaving me vulnerable in that large room the way they did, doesn't negate my use of skills.
I used a combination of mindfulness and distress tolerance to manage my emotions and urges while I was in hospital.



Gratitudes List/Things that make me happy:
I have exceptional friends.
Soft toys.
Kind nurses who saw beyond the labels and took care of the person.
Giraffes. No, really.
Friends who leave giraffe-y pictures on my Facebook.
Snacks and books and all those little things that make hospital stays bearable.
Hospital food. Yes, I'm weird, but I like it.



Today's cheer-leading statements:
I am doing the best I can with my knowledge and my skills.
It's okay to tread water for a little while.
Other peoples' assessments of where I am at are not necessarily more accurate than mine. What I think about how hard I'm trying is what really matters.



Take care of yourselves until next time, and may we all find our own small fences along the way.

2 comments:

  1. "It's okay to tread water for a little while."
    i would argue that its not just ok, but *vital* to tread water for a while. to take time to grow comfortable with and learn to use the skills we take on during periods of growth. to rest and rejuvenate for the next period of growth. to take time to stop, look around, see what has changed and what hasn't, what you would like to change next and what you are not yet ready to change. rest, recuperation, recharging.. these things are vital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire so many things about you. You're ablity to not think rigidly and write this post even if it's not Saturday and it was a hard week. And I admire your ablity to accept yourself even with your struggles.
    And, as always, I love your gratitude list and cheerleading statments. You're an excellent example of how to use your "skills" to help your life.
    I hope you're able to settle in at home again this week and recover well from you graft.

    ReplyDelete